Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Tuesday 1 November 2011

BHS Training Day Hartpury- Functional Anatomy and Its Relationship to Body Shape

This was a day forced on me as I have to update my coaching skills, sometimes the courses are useful but mostly I struggle to stay awake as I learn better by physically doing things .
I find slide shows and being talked to particularly tedious and the morning session was 2 hours of exactly that. Yawn and nothing much learnt other than our max possible heart beat is 220 bpm minus our age and that event riders fall off alot but jump jockeys do it more and we all need better balance to not fall off.....think we may have known that already.
I debated leaving at lunch time but decided it could only get better. It didn't.
We were shown 3 riders first live and then a the video of them and we had to comment on where they were crooked, even a non expert could have done that. I then got interested as it seemed we were now going to put these riders positions right. But the presenter just said sitting them on a ball with exercises would help them but he did not have a ball to demonstrate this with.
Then the presenter asked us the aids for shoulder in and a long argument raged on between all the BHS expert Instructors. I was not sure if the presenter was asking us to tell him the aids for shoulder in because he didn't actually know or if he was testing us.......anyway the argument ended up in me being completely confused. As I got an 8 for the last shoulder in I rode I decided I will carry on riding and coaching as before.
Then a raffle draw concluded the day and I won top prize of a years free BHS membership worth about £130. Which made the day worthwhile.
In comparison last week I went on a fitness coaching course for pony club racing.
I shadowed several instructors in 3 different training areas. Riding, equine simulator and on fitness equipment.We watched the instructors solve position issues and also were able to try all the equipment, wobble boards, balls, equine simulator etc all to improve balance and core stability. The riders had to make notes on their strong and weak points and the exercises they needed to do to improve where they were weak. I went home feeling inspired and I now had hands on experience of more ways and methods of improving both my riding skills and the riders whom I coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment