Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Saturday 26 June 2010

Horror of Dead Cows and a Mixed Weekend.

Two days ago one of our cows broke its leg clean off, it was horrid and of course he had to be shot. Dermot, who looks after them was devastated, as it was his favourite. Then yesterday a second cow had a similar break. We realised we have a rogue horse attacking the cattle. Ant and his father Ron have kept horses with cattle for over 50 years and never had this happen before.
We quickly moved all 6 of my youngstock to another field and are wondering who is the culprit, it was very upsetting.

Yesterday I took Top Gun to Allens Hill for an eventer training class, 2'9", he was so lovely. 32 dressage and double clear and won it. I have discovered he likes soft mints so he had a whole packet afterwards.

Today Icon was at Salperton. He had a 39 dressage despite zillions of horses flies biting at him. Then I really fluffed the showjumping. I had no stride to the triple bar and we landed flat and then made an absolute pigs ears of the treble, stopping at the final part. I thought oh help he has never stopped, he is ill, retire! Then I spotted Ant who signaled me to give him a smack so I did, 3 sharp smacks and he flew it.

I was not sure if to run xc but Ant said run, it was good sheep ground, firm but not rough at all. After his smack in the SJ Icon set off like an idiot and I couldn't stop I managed to anchor him by fence 5 and we cantered sedately round the rest of course. It was boiling hot and very hilly and he finished extremely tired having had only 5 days since his last outing, too much Irish Draught blood!
The course was pretty technical with lots of drops and skinnies and steps with 2 waters both with skinnies out.
After the rubbish SJ I was relieved he jumped round clear XC even if we went slow enough to stop for an ice cream on the way round!

(photo is by kind permission of John Britter Photography)

1 comment: