Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Sunday 2 May 2010

A Long Trip To Scotland

We had a very enjoyable and successful day at Sapey when Duvet Day finished 8th on his dressage score in the BE90. The following day I had the lorry all packed and ready for Perth. All sorted a day early as before Scotland I was booked to dressage write at Withington on Friday. I had an email from the organiser saying I was doing the ponies, easy I thought! When I arrived I discovered I was writing for Angela Tucker and it was an FEI test under the watchful eye of the FEI pony selectors. Angela was looking for good quality movement, rhythm (thank god I had thought to look up the correct spelling and written in on my hand) and lots of engagement. It was an interesting and educational afternoon.

Saturday morning we left for Scotland and arrived 8 hours later. Its an easy drive all motorway and dual track, but we were concerned as Icon did not drink on the way up. At the stables he did drink some water but by next morning he had drunk very little, compared to at home.
The event setting was stunning set in the grounds of a Scottish Palace, we were towed onto the field so the going was perfect. He did a lovely test and we were thrilled, and afterwards thankfully he drank some water, but it was worryingly over a bucket full!

He show jumped well with only one down, he made me work very hard, sometimes I think It would be easier for me to carry him! After SJ he drank loads of water, but he seemed bright and XC was a couple of hours later so I was not too concerned.

I set out XC meaning real business, determined to be quick and clear, but Icon was not right making mistkes getting too deep or standing off miles, although we were clear I decided to pull him up after fence 12.
Next day back at home we had him blood tested which came back clear and so we put it down to the long journey and dehydration. He was unusually quiet for two days but is himself again now.

Tuesday we took Duvet Day to Milton Keynes and again he finished on his dressage and was 8th again, such a reliable chap.

I have just come home from a local dressage show with Top Gun and John Wayne. Both boys went well, scoring over 60% although I had to ask to be HC as it turned out the judge was one of my pupils. It was excellent practise as held on grass, in a lovely setting and some yummy cakes on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment