Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Bees Swarmed and Took Over Our Bedroom


A swarm of Bees made home in our chimney. I heard and saw them swarming and lit a fire to move them out. It worked, but later on I was upstairs and realised they had moved to a disused chimney in the bedroom. There was a drone of the sound of many bees when I listened by the old fireplace. Yikes. I rang my dads old school friend, Bee expert Richard Drinkwater who said I really needed to move them if possible as the honey dripping can cause damage to the structure of the house.
So I decided to light a fire in the fireplace. Not a good idea, the fireplace had been blocked up. The flames licked fiercely up the mantel piece and the room filled with thick grey smoke, some of it did get up the chimney, as the odd Bee fell down on to the carpet I niftily squashed it. Easy!
Until the entire swarm fell down in a massive angry ball and smashed on the hearth. I screamed and ran.

I ran to our neighbours house in a complete panic, I wasn't sure if the bedroom was on fire and the Bees were very angry. Luckily our neighbour Nigel was at home, he also keeps Bees and he was a complete hero and came to help me. I was so relieved, he put on his Bee keeping stuff and bravely ventured into Bee territory to open the bedroom windows, then Richard also arrived to help and they moved most of the Bees outside.



There are a few hundred sleepy ones left behind, I plan to sleep in the lorry tonight! The Bees are now in a big ball in a bush in the garden and Richard is going to collect them later.

1 comment:

  1. A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay, a swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon ......... but a swarm of bees in July ain't worth a fly. (Old country saying.) So you've struck it rich, gal - just don't go squashing too many!!

    ReplyDelete