Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Monday 8 July 2013

Tribute to Trefeinon Icon

On Friday I was up early very excited to be running Icon at the prestigious Barbury Horse Trials. By 6 am he was gleaming, plaited and looking very bright as he knew what was coming.

When I led him out of his box he was stiffer than normal behind, he is always stiff and a bit shuffley as he has poorly hocks, which have been getting worse over the last few years. This Summer we have had his hocks medicated, there had been an amazing improvement. The day before Barbury he had pinged round 1.35 m, he just loves to jump.

I called Ant to come and see if he was sound, he suggested I rode him to see what he was like. When I got on Icon had an excited spring in his step, but when I worked him he was definitely too lame behind to consider taking him to the Event. I jumped off and took off his saddle and made the decision to retire him from Eventing. Making this decision in the glorious early morning sunshine, on the morning of Barbury, with Icon stood there looking amazing felt very emotional. I burst into tears I had to text my withdrawal I couldn't even ring them.

Icon is an amazingly, intelligent, brave and forgiving horse, he always try's his very best and even a bit harder than that. If I make a mistake XC he just says "dont worry I got it". He has never stopped, his only XC errors have been unseating me jumping too big or the odd run out when he's misunderstood the question or my rubbish riding, he's never fallen and went clear XC in his 3 advanced runs, he was 15th at Little Downham Advanced. He took me round the Advanced track in the Intermdiate Champs at Gatcombe in front of huge crowds, that day he gave me the greatest XC ride I have had in my life, it was extra special as my whole family and many of my friends came to watch.

He is so wonderful at home that I can ride and jump him bareback. Although when I first tried he walked very carefully as if carrying a china doll, peering round at me like he was Mr Health and Safety! He is also brilliant baby sitting all the babies, looking after them out hacking and in the field, firmly but kindly correcting them if they get out of hand. Just a lovely lovely boy, my horse of a lifetime.
 Icon flying at Weston and Pontispool.

No comments:

Post a Comment