Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Monday 19 November 2012

Shadowing Coaches and Qatar

Its been a very busy week, I have taken some afternoons out to shadow senior coaches, Pammy Hutton, Caroline Moore and David Austin.

Pammy Hutton 

Watching at Talland is free and I am always amazed more riders and coaches don't make use of this. Today I sat with Pammy for 6 of her afternoon lessons, watching as horses and riders transformed in front of my eyes.
When I arrived Pammy was on her mobile.
"What do I have to do around here to get my 12.20 lesson to be in on time" she barked.
"Your next lesson is 12.40" 
" Well they are late. What time is it now?"
I didn't hear the reply but I looked at my watch it said 12.39.
Pammy switched off her mobile muttering it was the showing the wrong time.
I sat a bit tense in my seat hoping her mood would improve, she is a big softy really.
Qatar Event Team were at Talland for the afternoon to be trained by Pammy. As the first rider trotted round nervously her mood softened immediately. There were 4 riders who were each to have a private lesson on a Talland Schoolmaster. Joss Gray of www.jossgray.com has the task of producing an event team for the Asian Games in 2014. He explained all the riders were experienced show jumpers so that discipline is very good. Their dressage experience is down to about 15 tests ridden in their lives (the total between them!)
It was a fascinating afternoon, Pammy worked each team member in different movements, so one did half pass, another medium trot etc. Due to their SJ experience the flying changes were good. She worked on rider position too. This way they could also learn by watching each other.
We had a hilarious last session as the final rider spoke almost no English, Pammy had to get her daughter Pippa from her sick bed (she had a nasty cold) so he could learn from copying her, see photo. We all ended up being in stitches as Pippa seemed to understand him completely, even when his Qatar team members couldn't!
I learnt loads and think I will have to up my game next season as these guys will improve quickly with Joss and Pammy's help. I am looking forward to seeing them all out Eventing in March.

Caroline Moore

The British u18 Coach and she was amazing, I had an inspiring day. Caroline was coaching riders from Novice to Intermediate, she gave me lots of tips and good exercises to help me coach my riders up to the next level. I was up at 6 am next day putting out Caroline's course so I could practise my horses through the exercises as soon as it was light.

Just like to thank all three Coaches for making me feel very welcome and for allowing me to share their knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment