Twitter

Welcome

Welcome to my Blog where you can find all my latest news...

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Groom at Badminton 4* - trot up day

BI arrived at about 8 am and the day flew by. I first tracked down Louise Harwood and her mum Jackie in their lorry. Wiggy sorted out my wrist band pass to get me into the stables and she collected two new saddles from her sponsor. Then we had a call from Jackie to come and help sort Potts out as he was grumpy and getting wound up in his stable. It turned out the french horse next to him had been taken out for a hack and Potts was cross at being left in on his own.
 It took four of us to tack him up with me running across Badminton Park nipping his girth up a hole at a time as he wouldn't stand still to have it tightened.

Once he had been worked in for an hour (and been rained on) his high spirits seemed to subside and thankfully on returning to his box he settled down to eat his Haynet.

We all had a nice lunch in the riders canteen, I was in awe of the whole place, over the years I have read so many books and seen so many pictures of behind the scenes at Badminton Horse trials, that to be experiencing it for real and to be walking though the famous stable yards was an amazing feeling.

After lunch I went with Wiggy to the shops to collect some bits and pieces from her various Sponsors and Wiggy also bought a few new things Potts needed for the competition ahead. 

I went back to the stables and helped Jackie finish plaiting Potts mane and making him nice and tidy ready for the vet inspection & trot up. He passed the trot up with flying colours, but even so it's still always a slightly nervous few minutes. They rejected 3 horses who all had to be re presented, one was susequently eliminated from the competition, very sad for all concerned.

Below Potts and Wiggy waiting to present for the trot up in the yard beside Badminton House, the riders canteen is just off this yard. The stable yards are a seemingly maze of arch ways and stunning buildings like the ones in the background. 

I drove out of the park at 7 pm and realised I had been so occupied with the 4* event I hadn't looked at any of the grassroots course or results and had completely missed all of the BYEH classes. Oh well I am sure there will be other years I can watch those!


No comments:

Post a Comment